cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Tip after authorization and/or Capture

Hello I have read some messages on this board of adding a tip afterwards transaction is completed, many say its not possible but they are really old discussions.

I tested that the Authorize.Net iOS Phone Mobile App actually does process tip but seems it does it before the authorization and/or capture process happens so just adds to the total cost. Thats not most pos system work. 

I read on one of the board posts you can link into previous transaction with the reftransid (assuming need to add authcode too) but my tries was unsuccessful. Is this still not supported or am i sending/missing some wrong info.

Tried transaction types 

AuthorizeNet.Api.Contracts.V1.transactionTypeEnum.authCaptureTransaction (processed as a new transaction and not as a tip)

AuthorizeNet.Api.Contracts.V1.transactionTypeEnum.priorAuthCaptureTransaction (The transaction cannot be found.)

Do I authorize the transaction and wait for the tip then complete it? But then when should i complete the transaction if their is no tip. 

We are using the c# .net api for this. Please help thank you.

drewex
17 REPLIES 17

Hello @drewex

We do not currently support tip adjustments to authorizations, but this feature is planned for release in the coming months.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

I need to create a solution in the following week or 2, so I had an idea but i dont have a live account to test this,

first I authorize and charge the persons card for full amount 50$.

if there is no tip it goes on as 50, if there is a tip coming little later on I void the transaction, and do another transaction for 55$ with tip. Now our concern is the does the 50 dolar show up persons account as a void or refund. Since its done same day the charge shouldnt have cleared and shouldnt show but there is no guarantee on this. 

Will this work? I cannot test it since i dont have a live account to see the transactions on payers account.

Hello @RichardH

Is there possible to Adjust previous AUTH_CAPTURE_TRANSACTION with higher than original amount in CIM

@Siva

No, using a customer profile works the same as a card number.  You currently cannot increase a prior authorization above the original authorized amount.

Richard

Hello Richard, i just spoke with your colleagues on web chat, and they say there is no way to update a transaction once its captured but not yet Authorized (or vice versa.. confusing terms). However as someone mentioned above, if the Transaction was cancelled and the new Transaction captured to include the MODIFICATIONS or TIPS, will that work? prefer if it was updating the original but need a work around here.

You guys really should update your logic to support the Service Industries that allow TIPPING or MODIFICATIONS to orders. 

For example: Customer orders a Large Pizza for say $15.00, and puts in the comments ADD PEPPERONI, this ADD would need an additional charge of say $3.00. Once the order is pushed to the Merchant, they can read the comments/special instructions and see to ADD Pepperoni. this would then require them to update the AMOUNT and Re-authorize/capture and possibly add a TIP fo say $3.00... Once the Delivery is made, the customer signs the receipt and approves the ADDs... its not possible to make this process work by always cancelling the previous charges if they are going to SHOW UP on the Users Statements.. it drives too many red flags..

I am new to authorize.net. I have integraged verifone's payware pc, and payware connect so far.

I have been searching for how to add tip using authorize.net.

I was not able to create a new thread for this topic, so forgive me to posting as reply.

I contacted dev center for this issue but they asked me to check developers forum.

Wow, they don't even know about this simple question. Anyway, after reading posts, I found...

- someone says it is possible if you get live account,

- someone says it is possible if you make new separate trasaction for tip amount(2.9% + $0.30 will be charged again for this transaction, isn't it? then end user get charged of 2.9% + $0.60 right?)

- someone says authorize.net never support for restaurant tip adjustment.

Most of all, I never found any method regarding 'tip' from authorize.net's API.

It means there is no way to add tip to the original transaction.

which one is correct?

Anybody can answer? 

hsyeon

Hi Richard, hoping to follow up here to determine if adding "adjustments" (to facilitate a tip) to a charge is now possible after the card has swiped and before it has been settled.

Is this now possible using Authorize.net? About a year ago you mentioned in this forum that this would be released in the coming months. Hoping it has been. 

By way of background, we are a POS provider for restaurants and though we'd like to use the authorize.net gateway, we simply can't take tips before swiping the card, or individually settle all charges for lesser at a later time. Is there any other solution?

Please provide an update as to if these capabilities currently exist and/or an estimate as to when they might. 

Can any administrator other than Richard help with the above question?

This topic doesnt get the attention it really needs. Cant beleive authorize .net doesnt really care about processing tips.