cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ApplePay with multi-tenant application

I support a web application that is a multi-tenant application.  My clients each maintain their own authorize.net account, and provide my application with their transaction keys, and I am able to collect payment information from my application's users and process them through their authorize.net accounts.

I'm looking at integrating my web application with ApplePay, and it looks like it's done on an account-by-account basis.  I have successfully tested this in the sandbox environment with a single authorize.net account.  However, when I went to test with a second authorize.net account, the apple developer area made me invalidate the initial Apple Pay Payment Processing certificate in order to work with the second.  Currently, the second account is working, but when I make requests to authorize.net to process a payment for the first account, I'm getting the following error: "There was an error processing the payment data. Invalid ownership."

I suppose this makes sense since I had to invalidate the first certificate in order to activate the second one.

But it leads me to ask: does authorize.net have a mechanism to support my situation?  I would like to set up Apple Pay for multiple customers.

mboyers
2 REPLIES 2

@mboyers wrote:

I support a web application that is a multi-tenant application.  My clients each maintain their own authorize.net account, and provide my application with their transaction keys, and I am able to collect payment information from my application's users and process them through their authorize.net accounts.

I'm looking at integrating my web application with ApplePay, and it looks like it's done on an account-by-account basis.  I have successfully tested this in the sandbox environment with a single authorize.net account.  However, when I went to test with a second authorize.net account, the apple developer area made me invalidate the initial Apple Pay Payment Processing certificate in order to work with the second.  Currently, the second account is working, but when I make requests to authorize.net to process a payment for the first account, I'm getting the following error: "There was an error processing the payment data. Invalid ownership."

I suppose this makes sense since I had to invalidate the first certificate in order to activate the second one.

But it leads me to ask: does authorize.net have a mechanism to support my situation?  I would like to set up Apple Pay for multiple customers.

Amazing tutorial! This is exactly the type of post we like to see on the tutorials board!

For Agents Only

Aleen2

Replying to my own post in case it's helpful to others.

I've found how to do this, but it requires having a separate Apple merchant ID per authorize.net account.  Given that each merchant ID has a specific cert associated with it that is needed to establish the ApplePay session, I am going to have to account for this in my application.  Documentation says that apple allows up to 100 merchant IDs per Apple account, so that should last a while.

One of the other steps Apple requires is proving you have ownership of the domains you are using for a given merchant ID.  I have verified that Apple will permit the same domain to be used with different merchant IDs, so that's not a barrier.  My multi-tenant application has a single domain, so this domain will be repeated underneath each merchant ID.  The first time I add the domain, Apple makes me verify it, but it looks like when I add it to subsequent merchant IDs, Apple recognizes that it's already been validated and allows me to add it to additional merchant IDs without having to validate.

mboyers