cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finalizing tax amount

I plan to use CIM when the site goes live. Now I am asked to finalize the sale with the accurate tax rate. Because we should be charging tax based on destination. And every state, county and city is different. Can this be something I can do in CIM? The payment hasn't cleared or finalized, the form sent 7 % and we need to change it to 7.9% and then charge them.

mallen
Regular Contributor
9 REPLIES 9

Since you are using CIM, just  charge them after you figure out the tax rate and add it to the total.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

If I understand correctly, CIM will allow me to make that change to the tax amount that was submitted by the website form?
If I deceied to not tax them at check out, could I add the tax in when I am in CIM portal?

Is this what most people do? I always thought you charged tax for the location. ie the city and county your location is in. But I am being asked to charge tax based on zipcode or geo code of the destination where the customer is. And that is an endless list of counties and cities.

mallen
Regular Contributor

No. Like any other API, on the Prior_Authorization_and_Capture you can only capture equal or less then the Authorization_only amount.

So either you figure out their tax before checkout, or don't create any transaction until you can calculate their tax.

I don't have much control over how is sent becuase it is a cart I purchased. So if I turn off tax at checkout I won't be able to charge them in CIM. But if I show them the tax at check out and tell them it could be less then I could change it. Both ways the card is not being charged at checkout.

Maybe its best to charge them the highest possible for that state. So if NY is 7.0, 7.5 or 7.9  I just charge the 7.9 at checkout. Then when we research the actual tax change it to a lower amount and charge the card. Sound correct?

mallen
Regular Contributor

Or you could charge the tax as a seperated transaction?

Maybe its best to charge them the highest possible for that state. So if NY is 7.0, 7.5 or 7.9  I just charge the 7.9 at checkout.

Expect customer to call to complaint.

Then when we research the actual tax change it to a lower amount and charge the card. Sound correct?

You doing this by hand?

I guess I am doing it by hand. I can set the state for example NY at 7.9% in the shopping cart and when I am in CIM I would change it to a lower amount if needed. I agree its not the best way. But I was told by our accounting person to make the cart charge by destination. I am using Wp-ecommerce and all you can do is set a rate for the state.

Setting a rate for every city and county in NY wouldn't solve the issue.

Doesn't seem to read the zipcode. I don't think most shops bother doing it this way.  I can't test it completely becuase Wp-ecommerce in test mode sends to my developer account yet won't show the saved customr details in CIM like if I did it by hand. It sends a receipt pack and a confirmation. Wp-ecommerce is saying I need to have a real account in test mode rather than a test account in test mode.

mallen
Regular Contributor

Yea, taxes is way too complex.

Not sure about wp-ecommerce, but are you sure it not test account in live mode?

Live and test mode work in CIM but in Wp-ecommerce , test mode has to be checked or I get the error" The merchant login ID or password is invalid or the account is inactive."

Either way nothing is saved on the CIM portal at Authorize.net

mallen
Regular Contributor

Then I don't think you can test it without going to your real account. that mean transaction fees.