cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help: Partial Authorization Transaction Question

I am making changes to my companies internal paysite in order to come into compliance with the new regulations.  We  have decided that when we get a split tender transaction that comes through we want to get the remaining balance along with how much was on the card to start out with and send that info back to the customer service rep with a message relaying the need for another payment source along with the remaining balance and the amount that was originally on the card. 

Instead of chaining the transactions together with the split tender Id we have decided we would like to finalize each split tender transaction with a prior_auth_capture and then request the next payment source and amount and process that transaction in the same manner.  I know that we are side stepping the functionality some but those are my orders.

My questions are, is this feasible and possible and how do you do this in code? 

My thoughts are that I would have to process the transaction for the amount passed as a auth_capture transaction and then some how do the prior_auth_transaction with a zero amount or something?

How would this work?

Thanks for much for your help.

James

jrwallace96
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

When you say "Finalize each split tender transaction", I am assuming that you mean capture it for the entire approved amount.  If I am correct, then you would need to submit the prior_auth_capture for that amount that was approved.  A Prior_Auth_Capture of $0 would give you a transaction error.

View solution in original post

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for your reply.  I will code the transaction like you described.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

When you say "Finalize each split tender transaction", I am assuming that you mean capture it for the entire approved amount.  If I am correct, then you would need to submit the prior_auth_capture for that amount that was approved.  A Prior_Auth_Capture of $0 would give you a transaction error.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for your reply.  I will code the transaction like you described.

Trevor or anyone that can help,

If I go to do the PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE on a split tender transaction, as described above, and I get a response code of something other than a 1 will Authorize.Net roll that transaction back or do I need to do a void to make sure that the transaction is voided and the customer has his full balance available on the card?  I don't know if this would ever happen but it does not hurt to be prepared.

Thanks for any help that anyone gives on chiming in on this.

I'm not sure what type of response you think might come back for a PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE transaction other than a 1.  Because a transaction is already authorized at this point, the only thing that would cause an error on capture is some sort of integration error.  In the case of this type of error, it almost always means that your API request failed an no change to the transaction will take place.