Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Error in '/profile' Application

I have taken the example.html from the SDK to render the hosted page in an Iframe and attempted to dovetail it into a user control on a DotNetNuke ste.  The page the code is on already has a FORM tag that I cannot remove to use the form tag from the example.html page.  I am modifying that FORM tag with Javascript and updating it with the TARGET, ACTION etc.  Normally in web development I could go to the server and run this to get the real error or alter the web.config to display what is wrong.  In this situation that does not seem to be an option. I am unsure how to proceed since I do not really know what is wrong and the token is good when I put it into example.html page from your site.


Everything seems to be there, configured properly and ready for a POST and the post happens, but what I get back is this-> 

Server Error in '/profile' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

        <customErrors mode="Off"/>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

Using CIM/SOAP by the way

if nothing else, could someone point me at what I should do to debug this issue, even if you do not have a speicific answer to the question.

It will be helpful if you can post your code or the web browser page source.

Another tool you can try is fiddler


Use it to see the web traffic when posting to and compare it to the example.html post.

Yes i did try this.  I was hopeful that there was a way to turn on more verbose errors on the server and/or allow the error to bubble up to the remote client

So I assume fiddler show that your page post and the example.html post the same param and URL. With all the id and name the same on your page and all the example.html <div /> on your page.


I doubt they will open up the error to remote client. Try sending an email to

with the url, exact date and time(w/ timezone) and see if they can/willing to find the error log on their side.

After breaking my head for one day, I finally found the solution for this problem.



runat="server" attribute in your form tag.



This tag is the culprit :smileyhappy:.

<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/*******" />