cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using CIM API can create duplicate customer profiles

Hi

We are using the CIM API to create and manage customer profiles, payment profiles and generate profile transactions.

All is working fine with our implementaion, however I've noticed one anomaly inthe API behaviour.

The API docs for createCustomerProfileRequest state that:

A customer profile contains any unique combination:

• Customer ID (any value you choose)
  • Email
  • Description

If an attempt is made to execute createCustomerProfileRequest using the same combination of values as an existing customer profile, the response is:

E00039: A duplicate record with ID 12345678 already exists.

However, using updateCustomerProfileRequest we can supply the same combination of values as an existing customer profile without error, thus indirectly creating a duplicate customer profile.

I would expect the same error in this case, but the duplicate profile values are allowed.

NB. I've only tested this in the sandbox, so I don't know for sure that this issue exists on live as well.

Anyone else observed this?

Thanks

Paul

paul_westpier
Contributor
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @paul_westpier 

This is a known issue previously reported to our product team.  At this time, I don't have any information on when it might be corrected.

I'd recommend subscribing to this topic so that you'll be alerted via email if there are updates. To subscribe, click Topic Options at the top of this thread and then select Subscribe. You'll then receive an email once anyone replies to your post.

Thanks,

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hi Richard

Thanks for the prompt response, and great to hear that it's on your list.

As it happens, it's not a problem for us as we manage our own data very carefully, before handing it over to CIM, so there's no risk of a duplicate profile being created.

It was just a test case that we were surprised snuck through the net.

Cheers

Paul