cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to detect a Duplicate Customer Profile?

How can I get cybersource createCustomerProfile to detect a duplicate?
I am able to repeatedly send the exact same information, including the following fields:
- buyerInformation.MerchantCustomerID = "1234"
- buyerInformation.Email = "meAgain@cyber.com"
- ClientReferenceInformation.code = "red"
and cyber returns me a new profile id every time (whereas authorize.net would throw a duplicate error if I did this)

Is there any user defined field or fields that cybersource would recognize as unique? (I want to ensure a single customer profile per customer and avoid creating a dup if for some reason the profile is missing from my local cross-reference DB )
Based upon this thread, I guess the answer is probably no Searching CIM Profiles - Cybersource Developer Community

fdcyber
2 REPLIES 2

To handle duplicate customer profiles in CyberSource, you can use the buyerInformation.MerchantCustomerID field, which should be unique per customer. However, if CyberSource is still creating new profiles despite using the same MerchantCustomerID and other fields, you might need to implement additional checks.

Here’s a suggested approach:

Check Existing Profiles: Before creating a new profile, query CyberSource to see if a profile with the same MerchantCustomerID or email already exists. This can be done using the CyberSource API to search for existing profiles.

Use Unique Identifiers: Ensure that your MerchantCustomerID is unique for each customer and consistently used across all transactions. You might also want to explore using additional fields or combinations of fields that could help uniquely identify a customer.

Implement Cross-Reference Logic: Maintain a local cross-reference database where you store CyberSource profile IDs along with your MerchantCustomerID. When creating or updating profiles, check this local database to avoid duplicates.

Consult CyberSource Support: If the problem persists, reach out to CyberSource support for guidance on how to handle duplicates and ensure unique profiles.

By integrating these steps, you should be able to manage customer profiles more effectively and avoid creating duplicates.

alicemorgan3303

thanks, I will be keeping a local cross ref.
If only looking up by buyerInformation.MerchantID would return a record - but it does not.
Look-up-a-customer-Profile-by-buyerInformation 

Are you successfully using the CyberSource API to search for existing profiles?  My lookups by merchantCustomerID return count of zero.

fdcyber