cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

403 Forbidden Error

I am new to Authorize.NET.  I am an average ASP.NET developer, and am completely new to MVC, this is the first MVC site I have set up.

I am trying to create a DPM with C#.  I was able to use the quick start guide for DPM and completed Step #5 with my solution compiling successfully. I was able to slighty modify the home page with our name and also included the "Pay" button code with our API LOGIN ID, etc.   Being new to MVC, from the home page I curiously clicked the Login button, then the register section to see how it worked.  Unsurprisingly, the site would not let me create an account, no big deal.  Ever since, the site now gives me a 403 error.  See for yourself: http://secure.avtec.edu. The error the page indicates the page was found, but that I most likely I need to login. I have Anonymous and Windows Authentication enabled. I get this error on both the web server (localhost), and from inside and outside our firewall.

Again, this site was up and working, and I have not changed any of the authentication settings.  Its almost as if forms authentication is enabled (its not), but I get no form.  I am thinking that there is a text file somewhere that recorded my failed account creation somewhere in the solution. I am hesistant to make any changes to make the situation worse.

The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403

Most likely causes:
  • This website requires you to log in.
                                    What you can try:

Go back to the previous page. Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

SFink
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I solved this on my own.  My public site was set to .NET v3.5.  Other integration methods specify to use 3.5 and not 4.0, so my original environment was this way.  Direct Post Method works only with .NET 4.0.

I cannot explain why this setting would create the 403 error, but who cares.  Swtiching to 4.0 is the fix. 

View solution in original post

SFink
Contributor
10 REPLIES 10

That might be the friendly HTTP error message.

I'm getting

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Shouldn't it have a default page or something?

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

At one time, it did have the default ASP.NET MVC 3 Home page with some slight customization in the text.  . 

As for the directory listing permissions, I have seen this also. 

The ASP.NET MVC site that was created seems to revert the site to allow the default Internet Guest Account (Anonymous) the Read permission ONLY. I can add the List Folder Contents and Read and Exectute (both are default IIS permissions on new sites set for Anonymous).  But when I run the Publish tool from Visual Studio 2010, it seems to publish without errors and then sets the site with Read permissions for Guests, removing my changes in permissions.

I just set it back to allow directory listing, try it again.

AND THANKS FOR REPLYING!!!! this has been an interesting, troubling, and frustrating project so far (status quo), and I need all the help I can get around here  :manhappy:   

I tried this from home, and I still get the directory listing not allowed just as you are seeing.  From work, I get the 403 error, regardless of the URL I use.  ARG!

If you have access to IIS server, see if you can change it on the server.

At one time, it did have the default ASP.NET MVC 3 Home page with some slight customization in the text.

Can you do that again to see it the problem go away?

And instead of going to the root of the site, shouldn't  it goto a map route?

We don't use publish web site and just do the "copy web site", since most of the time we only change a few page/logic on the site.

Following the Quick Start Guide, I just created an ASP.NET MVC site (my first MVC ever).  The code additions that I added to the Home/Index Page (Step #4) automatically changed the MVC Home page.  Is this not correct? 

AND I dont know what a Map Route is although I could make a hundred guesses.  :manembarrassed:  

As for why you were able to temporarily view the page is a mystery.  I have not worked on the site for hours.  I do have full access to IIS and have changed permissions, only to have to Publish tool revert them back upon a publish action.  The first thing that I noticed setting up the MVC site in VS 2010 is that the Web Site > Copy Web Site menu is gone with no option to enable it.  I would love to have that back.  the MVC environment is foreign to me.  I found the publish site menu at Build > Publish_ApplicationName and it does the job.

If you know better, I am all ears.  Thanks again!

Did you download their sample app at the bottom of the download SDKs page. CoffeeShopMVC site might help you see what might be missing.

Not able to get a 403 following the step and do the logon and register.

It might be better if you just start a new project and redo the step.

No, but I will do that.

And I will do that also.