cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow customers to print after payment.

Hi.

I'm trying to set up a small website devoted to selling one piece of artwork on a pay-to-print basis. My developer and I are trying to figure out how to let people print only after payment is approved. Is there a way to configure the Submit button on the payment page so that, if all information is valid, it triggers another action like a print command? We are planning on using SIM. I thought of adding a link to the Receipt page that would take them to a Print page, but they could just bookmark that or copy the URL and bypass payment next time. I would like to do this without forcing people to create an account or register, and without using CIM. Thanks.

DW

dogwood
3 REPLIES 3

You can probably do that with relay response.

Not sure how are you going to block people from bookmarking the URL or even the image.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

The artwork can be fed through a script that verifies if the user has access (user account login with tracking cookie, probably) before returning the file. Then it's just a matter of having your relay response page mark that user as having access to that file, so they can download it after payment.

I'm currently finishing a custom cart with integrated downloads for one client with integrated downloads - I just generate a guid for the purchase record, pass the record ID in the invoice number field, then have the relay response page generate download links associated with both the purchase and the download, and forward to the receipt page with the guid appended to the URL. The download links each have a guid as well, so the receipt page can access the purchase via the purchase guid (impossible to crack with a sufficiently-long guid), then display a list of download links with the guid's for the downloads. The download page then checks those guids to see if they exist, and if they do, serves the file and decrements the attempts counter by 1 (if the download record is past its expiration date or has no attempts left, it also cuts the user off).

FYI, once the user has access, they can take the download link and share it with their buddies - can't prevent that - but as long as you limit the download attempts to like 10, they at least can't suck up much bandwidth doing it before they get cut off. What they do wth the file after that, of course, is outside your control. If it's a popular game, it'll probably be on the warez sites within 24 hours. If it's just custom artwork, then you don't have to worry about theft so much.

Yes, it is possible to configure the Submit button on the payment page so that it triggers another action, such as a print command, if all the payment information is valid. However, it will require some additional development work beyond setting up the standard SIM integration.

One possible approach is to use Authorize.net's Silent Post feature to receive a notification when a payment is approved. You can configure your website to listen for these notifications and trigger a print command when it receives one for a successful payment.

Here are the high-level steps to implement this solution:

1. Set up a standard SIM integration on your website to collect payment information and send it to Authorize.net for processing.

2. Configure Silent Post in your Authorize.net account to send a notification to a specific URL on your website when a payment is approved.

3. Develop the necessary code on your website to listen for Silent Post notifications and trigger a print command when it receives one for a successful payment.

4. After a successful payment, redirect the user to a confirmation page that informs them that their payment was successful and that they will receive an email with instructions on how to print the artwork. In the confirmation email, include a unique link to the print page that is valid only for a limited time (e.g., 24 hours).

By using this approach, you can ensure that users can only print the artwork after their payment is approved without requiring them to create an account or register. However, it will require some additional development work beyond setting up the standard SIM integration.

Jonahkieth