cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorize Only expiration time?

Does the AuthorizeOnlyTransaction have an expiration? For example if we perform an auth only transaction will that authorization still be valid say a month later? 

Is there a benefit to using a "capture previously authorized" transaction over using the auth and capture transaction even if we already performed an auth only transaction?

Thanks!

Devin
Contributor
7 REPLIES 7

An authorization will expire within 30 days after which you must do a new authorization.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

@RichardH,

Thanks!

@RichardH,

This authorization expiration for 30 days, does this gaurantee that the funds will be capturable for the 30 days.

For example if a credit card has $10 and I authorize $7 but then the next day they spend $5, then they don't have the $7 anymore. Does this hold the funds for 30 days? Or is this just a safety check but doesn't stop this case?

Funds authorized are removed from what is available for other transactions until the authorization is captured or expired.

Richard

@RichardH, So that only applies to transactions within authorize? Or does it apply to any transactions for that card?

Basically: If I have a valid authorization will my capture always be successful?

@Devin  Correct, your authorizations will be successful.

Richard

@RichardH,

So the hold is at the card level and actually places a hold on the card, not only within authorize.net?