cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorizing card for verification without holding funds?

I don't understand how this can be done. VISA says that since 2009 every merchant authorization transaction for very small amounts such as $1 or $0.01 is misusing the Authorization System and should be using $0 transactions instead. As far as i can tell, authorize.net does not support $0 transactions. 

How can i verify the card information in authorize only & capture later scenario?

Can i authorize for $0.01 or $1 and void the transaction soon after? This seems clunky and i'm not even sure if this will impact my merchat rating.

I appologize if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find anything substantial.

sakopov
3 REPLIES 3

Visa supports $0.00 and other cards support $0.01. If your merchant doesn't allow you to process $0.00 for Visa, that would probably be something that needs to be brought up with them - Authorize.net is just the interface layer that sits on top of the merchant process.

TJPride
Expert

I just contacted my merchant and they said that while the zero-dollar authorizations work for VISA, not every bank supports it. So, the way i understand it is it's out there, but it's pretty much unusable. Moreover, MC doesn't have this at all.

What's my best bet? Can I authorize for $0.01, get response and void the transaction right away? How will this impact my merchant account?

Well, it's pretty easy to check if the card is Visa or not if you have access to the number (it will always start with a 4). You -could- try charging $0.00 for Visa, see if you get the error, then charge $0.01 if you do. All other cards would be $0.01.

EDIT: This would depend, of course, on whether your merchant account -sometimes- support $0.00 or whether they aren't supporting it at all yet. Also on whether Authorize.net considers "sometimes" the same as "never" (that I don't know).