cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruby gem, SIM response success returning false, transaction going through (sandbox)

Hi all, after searching the internet for a very long time, I figured I'd make a post about this.

Right now I'm using Ruby on Rails with a sandbox account, and using SIM with the ruby gem.

Following the documentation, I'm able to make a test payment to my sandbox account, and I can see the transaction is going through.  However, the .success? below always returns false in relay_response:

def relay_response
sim_response = AuthorizeNet::SIM::Response.new(params)
# @sim_response = sim_response
if sim_response.success?(AUTHORIZE_NET_CONFIG['api_login_id'], AUTHORIZE_NET_CONFIG['merchant_hash_value'])
render :text => sim_response.direct_post_reply(payments_receipt_url(:only_path => false), :include => true)
else
render
end
end

The actual relay is fine, I end up at the correct route, however the .success? always evaluates to false.

I've checked, double checked, and tripple checked my api login id and merchant hash value, so I don't think that that is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ktp925
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @ktp925

Are you able to see the transaction in the sandbox merchant interface?

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hi, yes I am.

Here is what paramdump is giving me when I use it as my relay route:

Data Validation URL Tool

Data Validation Tool

The Data Validation Tool helps developers check the syntax of name/value pairs. Changing the
Transaction POST URL in your script from https://test.authorize.net/gateway/transact.dll to
http://developer.authorize.net/bin/developer/paramdump will display the transaction results.
You can then verify that all field names and values in your transaction request are correct.

Please Note:

• The Data Validation tool only reflects the values from your POST, it will not provide error codes.
  • An HTTP Referer Header is required when using POST.
REQUEST_METHOD:POST
HTTP_REFERER:none
Field Name Field Value
x_response_code1
x_response_reason_code1
x_response_reason_textThis transaction has been approved.
x_avs_codeY
x_auth_code65JQ42
x_trans_id60022782695
x_methodCC
x_card_typeVisa
x_account_numberXXXX0027
x_first_name 
x_last_name 
x_company 
x_address 
x_city 
x_state 
x_zip 
x_country 
x_phone 
x_fax 
x_email 
x_invoice_num 
x_description 
x_typeauth_capture
x_cust_id 
x_ship_to_first_name 
x_ship_to_last_name 
x_ship_to_company 
x_ship_to_address 
x_ship_to_city 
x_ship_to_state 
x_ship_to_zip 
x_ship_to_country 
x_amount10.00
x_tax0.00
x_duty0.00
x_freight0.00
x_tax_exemptFALSE
x_po_num 
x_MD5_Hash9C12D9326A62002406386A8E395EE4BC
x_SHA2_Hash 
x_cvv2_resp_codeP
x_cavv_response2
x_test_requestfalse
utf8
authenticity_token9FSjQ96vkWlInD3+G/dZbkzMqjZFT2ML97OopEUMB0IBcQbFgpQExkefjyV1NPqL/e1A8KwLq6BQu2jRcCKyhQ==
commitPurchase

I know you mentioned that you have doublechecked the md5 secret key, but an error validating the hash is really the only thing that I can think of that would cause this scenario. What I would recommend is to try and validate the hash value directly.

The validation is fairly simple and involves the following:

• The shared secret key that you have entered into your Authorize.Net MD5 setting.
  • Your API Login ID
  • The transaction ID returned in the transaction response
  • The transaction amount 

These four parameters are concatenated and then run through a simple md5 function to generate the x_MD5_hash value that is returned.

I don't know your shared secret or api login ID, but the validation would be along the lines of this:

md5("SecretLogin6002278269510.00") = "9C12D9326A62002406386A8E395EE4BC"

I would recommend substituting in those parameters and seeing if the values match. There are several tools online that allow you to generate an md5 hash if you don't have another easy way to do that.

If this doesn't match, then there is still something going on with the shared secret.

So, changing my code to:

hash = Digest::MD5.hexdigest(secret + login_id + sim_response.transaction_id + x_amount).upcase
if sim_response.x_MD5_Hash == hash

etc....

Makes my site timeout (transaction still goes through)

I'm suspicious if 

Is actually successfully creating an object.  In the view, I can echo out the object itself, but whenever I try to access any attributes on the object I get error messages.  And trying to even find out if that object has valid attributes isn't happening, because whenever I try to access them in my controller, I get a timeout error from authorize..

So my post to authorize.net is fine, it's the post that I'm recieving from authorize.net

I apologize for the bombardment of messages this morning, but I've found out that I am actually getting paramaters (previous code had an assignment = instead of comparison)

Anyhow, I can now check to see if the x_response_code is 1, so that's how I'm verifying it for now.. Obviously this is not ideal though.

This comparison now evaluates to true as well:

if params[:x_MD5_Hash] == Digest::MD5.hexdigest('SecretLogin' + params[:x_trans_id] + params[:x_amount]).upcase

After I run:

I can not actually access any attributes on sim_response.  So I think the problem has something to do with the initializer, but looking at the docs it seems that you just pass 'params' to it..