Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Relay Response will not work

I have spent over 40 work hours on this problem.  I have a C# form that tranfers the customer to the hosted form.  Everything works great as far as the payment.  but then I get this message.


An error occurred while trying to report this transaction to the merchant. An e-mail has been sent to the merchant informing them of the error. The following is the result of the attempt to charge your credit card.

This transaction has been approved.

It is advisable for you to contact the merchant to verify that you will receive the product or service.


There are other threads that have this error but none fix the problem I am having.  I have read the section in the DEV guide over 20 times.


Here is the latest attempt example of the form I am using.  The address and Hash value for the fingerprint are handled in a code behind and I also tested that an invalid fingerprint would cause the payment to fail so it is not that.


    <form id="form1" runat="server" method="post" action="">
        <INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="x_method" VALUE="CC">
        <input id="HiddenValue" type="hidden" value="Initial Value" runat="server" />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_login' id='x_login' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_amount' id='x_amount' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_description' id='x_description' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_invoice_num' id='x_invoice_num' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_fp_sequence' id='x_fp_sequence' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_fp_timestamp' id='x_fp_timestamp' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_fp_hash' id='x_fp_hash' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_test_request' id='x_test_request' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_first_name' id='x_first_name' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_last_name' id='x_last_name' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_faddress' id='x_address' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_city' id='x_city' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_state' id='x_state' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_zip' id='x_zip' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_country' id='x_country' value='United States' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_email' id='x_email' />
        <input type='hidden' runat="server" name='x_phone' id='x_phone' />
        <input type='hidden' name='x_show_form' value='PAYMENT_FORM' />
        <input type='hidden' name="x_delim_data" id='x_delim_data'  value="FALSE"/>
        <input type='hidden' name="x_relay_response" id='x_relay_response'  value="TRUE"/>
        <input type='hidden' name="x_relay_url" id="x_relay_url" value="" />


I get an email for the transaction and all of the information is correct and I get a failure email.


Authorize.Net Developer Center Merchant,
Your script timed out while we were trying to post transaction results to it.

   Transaction ID: 2201704933


Here are my settings in my account

URL Add URL  Default Receipt URLEdit  Default Relay Response URL




The URL I am using is above and if you click on it, you will see it is aviable externally and is doing nothing in the background.  It is just text.  We took out any processing code as per a conversation with Authorize.Net because they said our code was taking too long.  This is as simple as it gets.


Can anyone please tell me what is going on.  I have tried over 1000 times with different combinations of variables and websites.  I pointed it to many other public sites and none of them work.  There are no ASP.Net examples to make matters worse and I have spent hours looking in the threads but nothing helped.





Still no luck.  We set EnableViewStateMac to false.  I also tried setting testing to true as one post said to do. Next we put up a plain static HTML Page

Test Page


I can access this page anywhere.  It is on port 80. I double checked it is a public page with my phone.  It should be pretty simple.  Still, the payment is going through correctly and all other info is right.


I would appreciate any other ideas.




I tested your relay response URL and I did not get any relay time out error. My best recommendation is to look at the HTML code generated by your ASPX page to see if there are any other fields coming over to Authorize.Net other than the viewstate. It is possible that there could be another field like viewstate that is still being passed.




Administrator Administrator

testing with your relay url

If a use firefox with firebug and remove __VIEWSTATE before posting it work. It seem your relay url page is validating something.

Finally got it to work. 


First of all, it was the viewstate causing the issue.  Thanks for your help in tracking down the problem.  The next thing is that none of the solutions would remove the viewstate variable. 


The solution was to direct the response back to the same page and handle it differently.  I set up a page to both send and recieve data from Authorize so the viewstate would not be an issue.  It worked.