cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARB transaction number on failed cases

Hi,

Im having few doubts on ARB - Authorize.net.

Consider im having a subscription (S1) with monthly installment (10 occurrences).
1. 12/04/2018 (Success) (T1).

2. 12/05/2018 (Success) (T2).

3. 12/06/2018 (Failed) (T3).

we are here

4. 12/07/2018 (???).........

10.12/01/2019(??)

Case 1:

If auto-retry was enabled for ARB in my merchant account and my first two installments (T1 and T2) are successfully settled. And my third transaction (T3) was failed. So, as mentioned in Authorize.net documentations/references i should update subscription (S1) , so that third scheduled transaction will be re-tried. My doubts here are ,

* If the transaction (T3) was failed due to insufficient card limit on that particular day, then what should i update for that subscription? Bcoz, the card details, schedules and amount will remain the same.

*will the retry for the failed transaction T3(Occurence 3 for S1) be an seperate transaction with unique transaction number (say T4) or it'll be the same transaction with transaction number T3.

* what happens if the subscription was not updated / or no successful retry happened until next schedule date or updated after next schedule. Will my last schedule for this subscription S1 be extended to one more month automatically ? (say 12/02/2019)

Case 2:

Auto Retry was not Enabled. So  the subscription S1 will be in suspended state till i update it. so the transaction (T3) will be an failed one and the third occurrence for this subscription S1 was not yet done. Consider Now i update Subscription with proper data and my next scheduled due was successful. will this be my third occurrence or fourth one ?? and will my subscription's last schedule be updated automatically to one more month(say 12/02/2019) or will expire on 12/01/2019 ?

I've gone through API references / Auth.net Documentations. But can't find proper answer for these questions considering trasaction numbers and occurences.

I need answers for all these questions. Someone kindly help me in this.

Thanks,

Suresh Babu R

sureshrb3
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Suresh. Following up. My colleague rajvpate and I worked together through the two scenarios (actually rajvpate did  all the work!). Here is what we can tell you regarding the remaining two questions:

Case 1:

If auto-retry was enabled for ARB in my merchant account and my first two installments (T1 and T2) are successfully settled. And my third transaction (T3) was failed. So, as mentioned in Authorize.net documentations/references i should update subscription (S1) , so that third scheduled transaction will be re-tried. My doubts here are ,

(other questions previously answered by BobQ)

* what happens if the subscription was not updated / or no successful retry happened until next schedule date or updated after next schedule. Will my last schedule for this subscription S1 be extended to one more month automatically ? (say 12/02/2019)

ANSWER: Subscription S1 will not be extended by one month automatically. The originally scheduled end-date for the subscription – 12/01/2019 - is not changed. The T3 payment (12/06/2018) will not be retried, but the T4 payment (12/07/2018) will be attempted. For you to collect the T3 payment, a manual one-time payment must be made.

Case 2:

Auto Retry was not Enabled. So  the subscription S1 will be in suspended state till i update it. so the transaction (T3) will be an failed one and the third occurrence for this subscription S1 was not yet done. Consider Now i update Subscription with proper data and my next scheduled due was successful. will this be my third occurrence or fourth one ?? and will my subscription's last schedule be updated automatically to one more month(say 12/02/2019) or will expire on 12/01/2019 ?

ANSWER: Result is the same as in Case 1. Subscription S1 will not be extended by one month automatically. The originally scheduled end-date for the subscription – 12/01/2019 - is not changed. The T3 payment (12/06/2018) will not be retried – because Auto Retry was not enabled - but the T4 payment (12/07/2018) will be attempted. For you to collect the T3 payment, a manual one-time payment must be made.

In both cases, the opportunity to collect payment T3 by ARB has been lost, but payments T4 to T10 will be attempted, and the end date of the series of payments is not adjusted.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

BobQ

View solution in original post

bobq
Authorize.Net Developer Authorize.Net Developer
Authorize.Net Developer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Suresh. I am an authorize.net developer who recently joined the forum - don't yet have the "A" symbol by my avatar, so I show up as "Member". Here are the partial answers I can provide:

Case 1:

If auto-retry was enabled for ARB in my merchant account and my first two installments (T1 and T2) are successfully settled. And my third transaction (T3) was failed. So, as mentioned in Authorize.net documentations/references i should update subscription (S1) , so that third scheduled transaction will be re-tried. My doubts here are ,

* If the transaction (T3) was failed due to insufficient card limit on that particular day, then what should i update for that subscription? Bcoz, the card details, schedules and amount will remain the same.

ANSWER: The status of the subscription will be “suspended” after the failure. If there are no card details that need be changed, simply reactivating the subscription will allow retry to occur.

*will the retry for the failed transaction T3(Occurence 3 for S1) be an seperate transaction with unique transaction number (say T4) or it'll be the same transaction with transaction number T3.

ANSWER: all retries will have a unique transaction number, so the retry for failed transaction T3 will have its own transaction number.

ANSWER: We want to verify this scenario to be sure we are giving you the most accurate info; we will reply later after verification has been done.

Case 2:

ANSWER: Just as in Case 1 above, we would like to verify this scenario, and will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

BobQ

bobq
Authorize.Net Developer

Hi BobQ,

Thanks for your effort and time!!

I appreciate your answers!!

Eagerly Waiting for the answers for the unanswered one's.

Anyone who knows about this are also most welcomed to post your answers here.

Thanks in Advance.

-Suresh babu R

Hi, Suresh. Following up. My colleague rajvpate and I worked together through the two scenarios (actually rajvpate did  all the work!). Here is what we can tell you regarding the remaining two questions:

Case 1:

If auto-retry was enabled for ARB in my merchant account and my first two installments (T1 and T2) are successfully settled. And my third transaction (T3) was failed. So, as mentioned in Authorize.net documentations/references i should update subscription (S1) , so that third scheduled transaction will be re-tried. My doubts here are ,

(other questions previously answered by BobQ)

ANSWER: Subscription S1 will not be extended by one month automatically. The originally scheduled end-date for the subscription – 12/01/2019 - is not changed. The T3 payment (12/06/2018) will not be retried, but the T4 payment (12/07/2018) will be attempted. For you to collect the T3 payment, a manual one-time payment must be made.

Case 2:

ANSWER: Result is the same as in Case 1. Subscription S1 will not be extended by one month automatically. The originally scheduled end-date for the subscription – 12/01/2019 - is not changed. The T3 payment (12/06/2018) will not be retried – because Auto Retry was not enabled - but the T4 payment (12/07/2018) will be attempted. For you to collect the T3 payment, a manual one-time payment must be made.

In both cases, the opportunity to collect payment T3 by ARB has been lost, but payments T4 to T10 will be attempted, and the end date of the series of payments is not adjusted.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

BobQ

bobq
Authorize.Net Developer

Hi BobQ,

I appreciate your efforts and i've got the answers now. Thanks for the answers!!

Since i'm impressed with your answers i want to clarify one more doubt with you.

Case:  I'm have a subscription S1 with 10 dues(same as mentioned above). Consider 2 of my installments are successful (say T1 & T2). On my third due date Transaction T3 will be tried. what if my credit card limit was reached or exceeded for the day. So, my transaction T3 will be failed and my subscription S1 will be suspended right? . I can't see card limit failure scenarios anywhere in auth.net's documentation/API references. How this case will be handled by the gateway (both if retry was enabled and retry not enabled).

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Suresh Babu R

Hi Suresh.

I apologize for my delay in responding.

Yes, you are correct, transaction T3 will fail, and subscription S1 will be suspended. This is true for both auto-retry scenario and non-auto-retry scenario.

Card limit exceeded is not a special case - it simply results in failure of the transaction, and suspension of the subscription.

Does that address your concern? Please reply and I will follwup.

Best regards,

Bob

bobq
Authorize.Net Developer

Hi Bob,

Thanks for Your answer.

i'm having a doubt.

Case :

Consider i'm having a subscription S1 with 10 installment due. For this Subscription S1, consider two installments are done successfully (Say Transactions T1 & T2). Now before the 3rd Schedule my card will be expired. So my third installment would fail (Transaction T3 will fail). Now i need to refund some amount to the customer. So i'll be in a situation to refund Transaction T1 or T2 which are done using my expired card details. What i need to do in this case. Can i refund transactions T1 or T2 ? How to handle with this.

Thanks,

Suresh babu R