cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVS rejection settings for domestic/international

Hello, I am trying to understand exactly how the AVS rejection settings work in conjuction with international customers.
 Say I have selected the following codes: B, N, A and Z (i.e. Both the 5-digit ZIP code and the street address match)
  (where in particular G, U and S are not selected)

Case 1) A U.S. customer enters a transaction with an invalid zip code.  Does AVS still fail?  My concern is that G-U-S will let it slip through.

Case 2) A non-U.S. customer enters a transaction with address info but the account doesn't support AVS.  Does AVS still pass even though the address cannot be validated?

If the R code is also selected:
 Case 3) A non-U.S. customer enters a transaction with address info but the account doesn't support AVS.  Does AVS still pass because AVS is not used for this account?

If the E code is selected instead of R:
 Case 4) A non-U.S. customer enters a transaction with address info but the account doesn't support AVS.  Does AVS now fail because AVS isn't available for this account? 

Thanks,
Steven

Steven
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When talking about the Address Verification System (AVS), it's important to be clear that only one status code will ever be returned for a status. Your AVS settings cannot change which status code is returned. If a bank supports the AVS system and an address is submitted, then they will always return one of the Address and Zip Code Responses (N,A,Z,W,Y). Only if the bank does not support address verification or there is an error with the bank's configuration will they return one of the General AVS Responses (B,E,R,G,U,S).

In the case of your first example, the transaction would still fail. For a US customer with an invalid zip code, it would return N or A. The other filters (G, U, and S) do not come in to play in any circumstance where the bank supported the address check.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The main thing I am trying to understand is if I can use the rejection settings for AIM with Auth_Capture, or for this scenario do you need to Authorize and then having customr filter code before doing a Capture.

Steven

When talking about the Address Verification System (AVS), it's important to be clear that only one status code will ever be returned for a status. Your AVS settings cannot change which status code is returned. If a bank supports the AVS system and an address is submitted, then they will always return one of the Address and Zip Code Responses (N,A,Z,W,Y). Only if the bank does not support address verification or there is an error with the bank's configuration will they return one of the General AVS Responses (B,E,R,G,U,S).

In the case of your first example, the transaction would still fail. For a US customer with an invalid zip code, it would return N or A. The other filters (G, U, and S) do not come in to play in any circumstance where the bank supported the address check.