cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My server is being sent UDP packets by Cybersource Corp.

I started doing reporting yesterday, and noticed for the first time UDP packets coming from Cybersource.  Could have been being done earlier, but I just did not notice till now.  The packets are being either rejected or ignored by the firewall, can't remember.

A little looking, and I spotted that they are using a route optimizer.  Went to the website of Cybersources probable supplier http://www.internap.com/business-internet-connectivity-services/  and got packets from them too.  Guess they use their own products.  Wondering if I should let them in either to do their job, or to get them off my reports?

WIS
3 REPLIES 3

I don't really see how they could damage you with UDP packets in a way not available to them via other protocols. They're just pings, right?

TJPride
Expert

That's what I thought.  Unblocking that range would get noise out of the logging.  It was more a curiosity about whether blocking inhibits the functionality. 

The way the ping works is the recipient computer is supposed to send back a response, so if your firewall is blocking the ping short of the computer that would be responding, then it's like firing into a black hole - the sender never finds out how long the trip took. I imagine that won't break anything, but it won't result in an optimized trip if that's what the pings were for.