cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Gateway Accounts, Device IDs, and Terminal IDs

In a different forum post it was stated that the same Payment Gateway account could be used for EMV transactions on multiple devices/terminals. I have a few follow up questions based on that:

When you say a single Payment Gateway account does this mean each computer can use the same LoginID and Password, and that it does not matter if each CSR has individual login credentials? Our software already validates a CSR before they can accept payments, so it would be redundant to also have to manage passwords on possibly hundreds of users. 

What is the difference between a Device ID and Terminal ID? Should they be the same? Should they be the name of a specific computer, or something like the serial number on the device itself?

Thanks,

Jacob

JacobS
2 REPLIES 2

Hi JacobS

Before we get into specifics, we should probably clarify a few items to confirm we are referring to the same thing. 

For instance, I assume you are trying to set up EMV for VPOS2 using one of the supported card readers offered by POS Portal. If my assumption is not correct, please advise, such as if you are trying to use mPOS rather than VPOS2 or if I have misunderstood entirely. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by device ID and terminal ID. 

A device ID is located within the merchant interface once you download the mobile app to a device. You may login to your account and enable the device, which is given a device ID, for use with the mobile app. 

A deviceType is a required field when submitted a retail transaction and is documented in our API Reference Guide as:

deviceType The type of device submitting the retail transaction.

This element is required if you submit the retail element.
Numeric string.

One of the following:

1 -- unknown device type
2 -- unattended terminal
3 -- self-service terminal
4 -- electronic cash register
5 -- personal computer based terminal
7 -- wireless POS
8 -- website
9 -- dial terminal
10 -- Virtual Terminal

A terminal ID is used by your merchant account and not applicable here. However, a terminalNumber can be included with a transaction to identify it's origination. This is also documented in our API Reference Guide as:

terminalNumber The merchant's in-store terminal number. Can identify the cashiers or kiosks used.

Do not use your processor's terminal ID for this field.

To address your other question, while we do recommend that each user has the appropriate user contact for their access into the Authorize.Net account, in order to avoid them from having access to settings that you may not want them to have access to, we do not limit how many users can login using the same login ID/password at one time currently. 

I hope you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to ask any further clarifying questions as well as use our Support Center, available at https://support.authorize.net/, which provides a wide range of articles specific to retail, mPOS and VPOS2 related topics. 

Regards,

Elaine

ElaineM
Moderator Moderator

Thank you for the very detailed answer! I apologize for not fully detailing my question. I am using the inperson-windows-sdk to make EMV payments on desktop PCs. 

I am still confused about how to use Device IDs. Before making a payment I have to pass in a Device ID and then register it in the Mobile Device Management even though I am not using a mobile device. It leads me to think I just need to pass in something like the Machine Name that the device will be attached to and register it before I can use it. Is this true?

You were right about the TerminalNumber field. I was slightly confused because your test app was calling it TerminalID before getting passed into createTransactionRequest object.