cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing Non-Qualified Rate Transactions

Hello everyone,

I've been using Authorize.net now for just about three weeks.

Got my first statement from my processor and am very upset to see that I'm getting charged almost 4% for a lot of transactions - because it falls under the non-qualified rate.  The whole reason I moved to a merchant account was to make it worthwhile to move away from PayPal - but all of the fees put together are costing a substantial amount more than that service.

Anyways, I'm reading and getting conflicting information on how to reduce these non-qualified rates.

I've read that if I pass in a PO number and a customer ID number, that it will stop the non-qualified rates.  Other places say this isn't the case and nothing can be done to solve it.

We are mostly a business-to-business company - and therefore 75% or more of our transactions are from businesses.  The payment processor said that anytime a business credit/debit card is used or a purchase card (P-Card), I will be charged those non-qualified rates.

This seems an exceptional amount to process these payments.  PayPal is lower cost in these cases at 2.9% and 30 cents per transaction.

So, does anyone know of a way to help prevent those non-qualified rates from occurring?  Should passing in a PO number and a customer ID offset these?  I just added these to my checkout system last night after getting my statement and doing some research - but I'd like to try to be as proactive as I can to stop these fees from happening if possible.

Thank you!

Brian S.

bsntech62526
1 REPLY 1

The charge percentage is entirely based on your merchant, so if they say that passing those values will reduce the charge, then it probably will. I think the best way to find out is to try it and see what happens, then maybe post here so future users won't have the same problems you did.

TJPride
Expert