cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund (or equivalent) against captured transaction pending settlement

According to the documentation, I can execute a refund against only a settled transaction.  Since transactions settle in a batch once daily, how would I handle a situation where I need to issue a refund, but the settlement is pending.  Do I have any options aside from waiting until the next day (after the settlement) to execute the refund?

I am using CIM, if that makes a difference.

colin
9 REPLIES 9

Simply void the transaction. It's prevents the transaction from being processed and won't even show on the customer's statement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post
stymiee
Expert
Expert

How can I find out if I should use void or refund?  Do I have to look for the error of refund and if I get Response Reason Code 54 "The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit" and then do the void, is there a better way?

Can someone answer this or offer any guidance?  I'm up against the same issue.

Jonny

If the transaction has not settled (this usually is the case if the transaction was run that business day) then you'll need to do a void. If the transaction has settled (this happens overnight) then a refund will be necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post

Given an authorized transaction that may or may not have been captured is it safe to

try and refund the transaction and then void the authorization if the refund fails?

Yes that should work. Or you could try to void the authorization and if that's unsuccessful, issue a refund. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Michelle

Developer Community Manager

where can i find code in classic asp for refund and void

Hey Yusuf,

Check out our sample code page and select the appropriate integration method.

Thanks,

Michelle

Developer Community Manager

it does not have  example for refund using AIM and classic asp