Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding SIM,AIM,DPM w/ CIM

Okay, to my understanding.

-SIM

-AIM

-DPM

are just methods of communicating with Authorize.net. Some require PCI, since you are touching the credit card numbers, while others directly POST to Authorize.net, lessening the compliance needed. I did my research and wish to 

1) Make our own form

2) Not touch CC's directly

3) Handle monthly payments that are different every month.

This seems to knock out ARB (due to the different values). So it seems I want to do DPM w/ CIM. So I can make CIM requests via DPM, so on initial registration, I can do the CIM createCustomerProfileRequest, and all seems good documentation wise.

Just wanted to double check before I begin.

iBotPeaches
Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

Hello,

DPM and CIM work seperately and don't allow you to use them together.  You should further explore using CIM based on your requirements.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Okay, then please correct me here where I'm confused.

I thought I could use the DPM, which has the entire name, address, cc part of it, directly to Authorize.net. That then creates a customer, since they purchased the first month. This gets the CC directly to Authorize.net, and then I don't have to mess with it.

Then using the API of CIM, I can immediatly use GetCustomerProfileRequest()  to get their ID and store it w/ their account. Then every month, I can use that ID to trigger another payment using CIM as well.

Or am I wrong to think that a DPM charge creates an account?

When you submit payment information via DPM, it creates a transaction, but it does not create a customer profile in Customer Information Manager.

I hope this helps.  In addition, I'm going to mention this thread to our documentation team for them to review.

Richard

Yes, after sending a test transaction via DPM, it seems I have no ability to create a customer from that, even though they provided all the information required to become a CIM customer.

I guess this is a limitation or misunderstanding on my part of DPM. I'm now researching my next best ability without using AIM. I could have the business register before hand on my site, and then load them onto a new form for credit card information. Then when they submit that, I can fire off a CIM request via jquery ajax. I hope jQuery has the ability to bundle an outbound XML request, because this way I can already have all the name / business name ready in the XML ready to fire, and append the credit card information into the AJAX request. This means the credit card never touches me, but still gets to authorize.net.

Then using the silent POST, I can react to the client that way. Then in the backend of an account creation, I can use the CIM profileRequest API and what not to setup a monthly payment.

If that makes sense :)

Off topic, where is the JSON requests / response options? Isn't JSON so much easier these days?

As long as your loginID/transactionKey not getting outside your server.

Did you take a look at the hosted CIM option?

Nope, but I just found that option in Chapter 4 of the CIM PDF, and it looks very helpful. I can pop a modal window, with the hosted iframe for credit information. Thanks for all your help. I will be using that method.