cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding refund records for a given transaction with Authorize.Net API

I'm writing a script to go through a number of transactions and retrieve info about them from Authorize.Net. I can get info for a given transaction just fine through the API, but wis there any way to use the API to find if a given transaction also has an associated refund transaction? Refunds in AuthNet are processed as separate transactions from the original payment transaction, but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to use the API to find any refund transactions using only the information in the original transaction.

tarmigan
7 REPLIES 7

Yes, you can use the Authorize.Net API to retrieve information about refunds associated with a given transaction. To do this, you would need to make a call to the "getTransactionDetailsRequest" API method, passing in the transaction ID of the original transaction. This will return a response that includes information about any refunds that have been processed for that transaction.

In the response, look for the "refunds" section, which will contain an array of refund objects, each with its own unique transaction ID. You can then use these transaction IDs to retrieve more information about the individual refunds, if necessary.

I've tried that, but haven't been able to find a section containing refund info in the API response, even though I've double checked that I am requesting info for a transaction that has in fact been refunded. The documentation for the getTransactionDetailsRequest method also doesn't contain any info about refunded transactions:

https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/index.html#transaction-reporting-get-transaction-detai...

To find refund records for a given transaction with Authorize.Net API, you can use the "getTransactionDetails" API call, which retrieves the details of a specified transaction, including any refunds that have been issued.

Here's an example of how to use the "getTransactionDetails" API call to retrieve refund records for a given transaction:

Obtain the transaction ID: You will need the transaction ID of the transaction for which you want to retrieve refund records. You can obtain this ID from your own database or by using the "getTransactionList" API call.

Make the API call: Use the "getTransactionDetails" API call to retrieve the details of the transaction, including any refunds that have been issued. Here's an example code snippet in PHP:

<?php

require_once 'AuthorizeNet.php';

$transaction_id = '123456789'; // Replace with the transaction ID you want to retrieve

$transaction = new AuthorizeNetTransaction;
$transaction->setTransId($transaction_id);

$response = $transaction->getTransactionDetails();

if ($response->isOk()) {
$details = $response->getTransaction();
$refunds = $details->getRefundTransactions();
// Process the refund records as needed
} else {
$error = $response->getErrorMessage();
// Handle the error
}

?>
Process the refund records: If the API call is successful, you will receive an object that contains the details of the transaction, including any refunds that have been issued. You can access the refund records using the "getRefundTransactions" method on the transaction object. Process the refund records as needed.
Note that you will need to have an Authorize.Net account and the appropriate API credentials to use the Authorize.Net API. For more information on using the Authorize.Net API website to retrieve transaction details and refund records, check out the Authorize.Net developer documentation.

JmesJony

To find refund records for a given transaction using Authorize.Net API, you can follow these steps:

First, you need to retrieve the transaction ID of the original transaction for which you want to find the refund records. You can retrieve this using the getTransactionDetails API call, passing in the original transaction ID as the parameter.

Once you have the transaction ID, you can use the "getTransactionList" API call to retrieve a list of all transactions associated with that transaction ID.

Look for transactions with a transactionType of refund in the list returned by getTransactionList. These transactions represent refunds issued for the original transaction.

You can then use the getTransactionDetails API call to retrieve the details of each refund transaction, such as the refund amount, date, and status.

Note that you will need to have an Authorize.Net account and be authorized to use their API in order to perform these actions. Also, the specific API calls and parameters used may vary depending on the programming language and environment you are working in.

Yes, you can use the Authorize.Net  API to retrieve information about refund transactions associated with a given payment transaction. You can do this by using the "getTransactionList" API method and passing in the Transaction ID of the original payment transaction.

The "getTransactionList" method returns a list of transactions for a specified batch and date range. By passing in the Transaction ID of the original payment transaction as the "transId" parameter and specifying a date range that includes the date of the original transaction, you can retrieve all transactions associated with that original transaction, including any refunds.

The response from the "getTransactionList" method will include a list of transactions, each with its own unique Transaction ID. You can check the Type field of each transaction to determine whether it is a refund or not. Refund transactions will have a Type value of "refundTransaction".

Here's an example API call using the PHP SDK:

require_once('vendor/autoload.php');

use net\authorize\api\contract\v1 as AnetAPI;
use net\authorize\api\controller as AnetController;

// Set up your API credentials and environment
define("AUTHORIZENET_API_LOGIN_ID", "YOUR_API_LOGIN_ID");
define("AUTHORIZENET_TRANSACTION_KEY", "YOUR_TRANSACTION_KEY");
define("AUTHORIZENET_SANDBOX", true);

// Set up the request object
$request = new AnetAPI\GetTransactionListRequest();
$request->setMerchantAuthentication(AuthnetAIM::getMerchantAuthentication());
$request->setBatchId("YOUR_BATCH_ID_HERE");
$request->setFirstSettlementDate("2022-01-01");
$request->setLastSettlementDate("2022-01-31");

// Execute the request and handle the response
$controller = new AnetController\GetTransactionListController($request);
$response = $controller->executeWithApiResponse(\net\authorize\api\constants\ANetEnvironment::SANDBOX);

if ($response != null && $response->getMessages()->getResultCode() == "Ok") {
    $transactions = $response->getTransactions();
    foreach ($transactions as $transaction) {
        if ($transaction->getTransactionId() == "YOUR_ORIGINAL_TRANSACTION_ID_HERE") {
            if ($transaction->getType() == "refundTransaction") {
                // This transaction is a refund
            } else {
                // This transaction is not a refund
            }
        }
    }
} else {
    echo "ERROR: " . $response->getMessages()->getMessage()[0]->getText();
}

In this example, you would replace "YOUR_API_LOGIN_ID", "YOUR_TRANSACTION_KEY", and "YOUR_BATCH_ID_HERE" with your Authorize.Net  API credentials and the ID of the batch containing the original transaction. You would also replace "YOUR_ORIGINAL_TRANSACTION_ID_HERE" with the Transaction ID of the original payment transaction you are searching for.

joelthompsons

I'm currently working on a script that involves going through a series of transactions and extracting information from Authorize.Net. While I've successfully managed to retrieve details for a specific transaction using the API, I'm facing a challenge in determining whether a particular transaction has an associated refund transaction. In Authorize.Net, refunds are treated as separate transactions from the original payment, but I haven't found a straightforward way to utilize the API to identify any refund transactions solely based on the information available in the original transaction.

RonaldGerardo

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, the Authorize.Net API does not provide a direct method to retrieve refund transactions associated with a specific original payment transaction. You may need to implement a separate mechanism to track and store refund information alongside the original transactions in your application. Always refer to the latest Authorize.Net API documentation or contact their support for the most up-to-date information on available features and functionality.

Daniel32