cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify Credit Card With Random Amount?

Hi,

I want to implement a "verify credit card" feature where the user will need to verify a random amount (e.g. $3-$10) that has been charged to their credit card before they are able to use this credit card for future orders.  I will be saving the credit card information using the "standard CIM" API.

I want to be able to "charge" and then immediately "void" the transaction, but if I do this will the charge amount still show up on the customer's credit card statement when they receive it this way they can enter this random amount on my website?

Also, do I need to "auth and capture" then "void" the random amount for it to show up on the customer's credit card statement?  Or would it show up properly by just doing an "auth only" and then "void" the random amount?

Thank you,

olimits7

olimits7
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Given that void only works when the transaction hasn't been settled yet, I would guess that the transaction disappears as soon as it's voided. Before then, it might show as "pending" on an online banking interface, but I'd have to test that to be sure.

Void

This transaction type can be used to cancel either an original transaction that is not yet settled, or an entire order composed of more than one transactions. A void prevents the transaction or the order from being sent for settlement. A Void can be submitted against any other transaction type.

Credit  
This transaction type is used to refund a customer for a transaction processed and successfully settled through the payment gateway.  

As seen above, you can always authorize and capture for a random amount, then after they verify the charge, void (if it hasn't settled yet) or credit (if it has settled but is still within 120 days). If the latter, it's likely permanently on their bank records, as an initial transaction and then a later credit.

Authorizations are probably not going to show up, as they're just reserved amounts and not actual transactions. They expire on their own if left alone long enough (30 days) I'd go with authorize and capture just to make sure.

View solution in original post

TJPride
Expert
3 REPLIES 3

Given that void only works when the transaction hasn't been settled yet, I would guess that the transaction disappears as soon as it's voided. Before then, it might show as "pending" on an online banking interface, but I'd have to test that to be sure.

Void

This transaction type can be used to cancel either an original transaction that is not yet settled, or an entire order composed of more than one transactions. A void prevents the transaction or the order from being sent for settlement. A Void can be submitted against any other transaction type.

Credit  
This transaction type is used to refund a customer for a transaction processed and successfully settled through the payment gateway.  

As seen above, you can always authorize and capture for a random amount, then after they verify the charge, void (if it hasn't settled yet) or credit (if it has settled but is still within 120 days). If the latter, it's likely permanently on their bank records, as an initial transaction and then a later credit.

Authorizations are probably not going to show up, as they're just reserved amounts and not actual transactions. They expire on their own if left alone long enough (30 days) I'd go with authorize and capture just to make sure.

TJPride
Expert

Ok, thank you!

Like you mentioned; I think I will go with "authorize and capture" and wait for the amount to settle; then issue a "refund" once they verify the amount or a couple days after it has settled this way it shows up on their bank records.

olimits7

I would strongly recommend that you discuss this type of validation with your merchant account provider to see if it is allowed.  For Visa, I know that it is not allowed to run a real transaction simply for card validation.  The $0 Authorization (Also known as 'AVS Only') is there specifically for the purpose of validating a card without tying up cardholder funds.  For other card types, I would guess that you should be running test transactions for as small of an amount as possible and then voiding those transactions immediately, not waiting for them to settle.  Not only will this prevent the customers from having funds improperly held on their account, but it will minimize the fees that you have to pay for running a charge and refund.