cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API call "testRequest" transaction setting

Hi,

We are making calls directly to your API, and I'd like to get a clearer understanding of the differences that occur when passing in "ture" vs "false" for the testRequest value. Here's a code snippet, so give context:

FIRSTLY:
The "settingValue", in the below, is "false"... but that can also be set to "true." Can someone please give a clear definition of the differences (in process) between the two?

{
"createTransactionRequest": {
"merchantAuthentication": {
"name": "xoxoxoxoxo",
"transactionKey": "yoyoyoyoyoyoyoy"
},
"transactionRequest": {
"transactionType": "authCaptureTransaction",
"amount": "1.00",
"profile": {
"customerProfileId": "1234567890",
"paymentProfile": {
"paymentProfileId": "2345678901"
},
},
"order": {
"invoiceNumber": "12345",
"description": "My Description Goes Here"
},
"poNumber": "333",
"transactionSettings": {
"setting": {
"settingName": "testRequest",
"settingValue": "false" // <-- THIS IS THE VALUE IN QUESTION
}
}
}
}
}

SECONDLY:
The above "testRequest" setting is currently present only in transactional-type requests. I would also like to know if this setting could also be passed in for other, non-transaction requests, like creating a Customer Profile, or a Customer Payment Profile. If so, can the distinction(s) in process(es) also be described, when considering the "true" vs "false" value being passed into those?

THIRDLY:
Is there somewhere, in the Virtual Terminal interface that will indicate if the above value was passed as "true", indicating that the "Unsettled Transaction", or "Customer Profile" was created by a test request?

Thanks In Advance!!! :D

jima
Regular Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Great response , I think you covered everything I ask. Much appreciated.

So, I guess the only way to do full-circle testing is on the sandbox account. What's a bummer, as this is for multiple company delopyments, and I am sure many of them don't have a sandbox account, and we all know that getting people to make a new account - just for testing - is quite similar to dentistry work... put off at all measures. At least for many people.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

jima
Regular Contributor
3 REPLIES 3

@jima

If you set Test Request = True, it is the same as setting your gateway into test mode:

• The gateway will only evaluate if the API Login and Transaction Key are valid
  • It will not attempt a transaction, nothing will be stored at the gateway and your transaction response will have a transaction ID of Zero.

You should never set test request as true or your sandbox in test mode. 

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

1. If you send "false" the transaction will be processed in live mode, as in the payment will be processed normally and sent to the processor for an authorization.

2. CreateCustomer and CreateCustomerPaymentProfile have a similar feature, but with a different name. <validationMode>testMode</validationMode> The values are testMode, liveMode, or none. This feature will validate the payment information provided with the customer profile.

3. Test transactions will not show in any transaction search (Unsettled or Settled) as they are not stored by Authorize.Net. In the case of profiles, the profiles will be stored but the transaction will not. There is not an indicator with the payment profiles where you can determine which type of validationMode was used.

Great response , I think you covered everything I ask. Much appreciated.

So, I guess the only way to do full-circle testing is on the sandbox account. What's a bummer, as this is for multiple company delopyments, and I am sure many of them don't have a sandbox account, and we all know that getting people to make a new account - just for testing - is quite similar to dentistry work... put off at all measures. At least for many people.

Thanks again.

jima
Regular Contributor