cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM variable passing issues

Hello,

I am currently working on getting SIM (written in ASP) working on my website, and I've come across a few issues. The whole process is working correctly, however to get all of my necessary variable values to pass from my order form, to the payment page (on auth.net), finally back to my site for the receipt, I have to build a giant querystring. It works fine, but the problem is I have a large amount of different kind of events that people will be registering for, so theres a good chance one registration will need to pass different variables than another.

Because the SIM method takes the user off my site, session variables end once the payment page is reached. This is creating a big headache. Additionally, the user must be taken back to my site for the receipt because a record needs to be inserted into our sql database. All of the variable values from the initial registration page and payment page need to exist at this point to send the correct data.

If any one has an ideas how to make this work with a generic template sort of idea that would be great. Passing everything through a querystring just isn't possible at this point due to the chance of many variables being completely different.

Thanks

kjos8035
3 REPLIES 3

Use Relay Response. The receipt page will be hosted on your server and will receive a POST of the transaction data. That data is the same as that found in Silent Post They offer sample code for Relay Response with ASP to get you started.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post
stymiee
Expert
Expert

How do you preserve your custom session variables when submitting to the gateway ? I can not get my customers login id back !!

When using SIM or DPM, you can send "Merchant Defined Fields" through the API. A merchant defined field is any variable name that is not defined by the Authorize.Net API. These merchant defined fields are not stored by Authorize.Net and do not affect the transaction, they are simply echoed back to you in the transaction response. This means that you could pass your session values as a simple hidden form element named "session" or similar, then read that value from the response to restore the session.